Federal Tort Claims Act

Many of our regular daily activities such as visiting the post office, the local DMV, the banks, and the museums all take place in federally-owned buildings, and are operated by its own employees. Under federal labor laws, federal employees have a responsibility to prevent any hazards that may harm citizens, while on duty. Should a federal employee neglect to fulfill his or her responsibility to prevent harmful hazards, he or she can be found negligent, if a citizen becomes injured.

If the negligent on-the-job behavior of a federal employee causes another person physical injury, loss of life, or property damage, the victim has the right to seek compensation from the government under the Federal Tort Claims Act of 1946.

Tort Claims

In order to file a tort claim and seek compensation, you must demonstrate:

  • You were injured, or your property was damaged by a federal government employee,
  • The federal government employee was not acting within the scope of his official duties, or
  • The federal government employee was acting negligently or wrongfully

Federal tort claims differ from other civil suits because they are tried in a federal court, and are presented before a judge only - rather than before a judge and jury - in a procedure known as a bench trial. Because of the enormous difference between these two types of trials, it is critical that the prosecuting attorney have experience with the bench trial process.

Sustaining an injury in a federally-owned building can happen commonly such as a slip and fall in a post office, tripping over hazardous debris on a museum floor, assault by a federal government employee, or even medical malpractice by a Veterans Administration doctor. These instances of federal employee negligence are common examples of the potential negligence claims against the federal government.

If you or a loved one has sustained injuries on federally-owned property due to the negligence of a federal employee, you may be able to file a claim for compensation under the Federal Tort Claims Act of 1946.

Consult an Kentucky Lawyer

If you believe you or a loved one may have a valid federal tort claim, you should speak with an experienced lawyer to learn about the compensation you may deserve. The lawyers at David Bryant Law have extensive experience in all types of federal tort claims. We have won numerous verdicts and settlements for our clients.

Statutes of limitations do exist, and they vary from case to case. Please contact one of our attorneys at (502) 540-1221 or via our quick contact form. We will gladly review the details of your situation, and consult with you on the best course of action. There is absolutely NO FEE for a consultation and no obligation of any kind.